[extropy-chat] Twenty Questions Twenty Questions - The neural-net on the Internet

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 17 14:34:07 UTC 2005

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> Very interesting 20 questions game based on AI (they claim) on the
> net. I played a few times trying to make it fail and thought of:
> myself, a football, several things related to sex, and a soul. The
> program performed very well.
> 20Q.net is an experiment in artificial intelligence. The program is
> very simple but its behavior is complex. Everything that it knows and
> all questions that it asks were entered by people playing this game.
> 20Q.net is a learning system; the more it is played, the smarter it
> gets.
> http://www.20q.net/

it is interesting. of course, it isn't generating the questions on the
fly, they are in a databank, otherwise it would seem as incongruent as
eliza.

You win, but 20Q did guess it eventually
Play Again
You were thinking of a laptop computer.
You said it is classified as Mineral, I say Other.
Is it more valuable than silver? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Does it fit in your wallet? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Is it worn? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Is it used to make jewelry? You said Sometimes, I say No.
Does it require specific knowledge to use it? You said No, I say Yes.
Contradictions Detected
It does not matter if our answers disagree, as over time the game will
change its answers to reflect common knowledge. If you feel that the
game is in error, the only way to fix it is to play again.

Similar Objects
a personal computer, a video cassette recorder, an IMac, a stereo
system, a Macintosh computer, a human head, a crock pot, a CD player, a
tape recorder, a DVD player, a record player, a waffle iron.

Uncommon Knowledge about a laptop computer
Does it fold up easily? I say Probably.
Is it used with a computer? I say Yes.
Is it bright? I say Probably.
Do you use it with a computer? I say Yes.
Would you pay to use it? I say Yes.
Is it heavy? I say No.
Is it small? I say Yes.
Does it like to play? I say Yes.
Is it independent? I say Probably.
Can it speak? I say No.
Can it affect you(cause an effect to you)? I say Probably.
Is it shiny? I say Yes.
Is it straight? I say Yes.
Does it have bumpy skin? I say Doubtful.
Can you read it? I say Yes.
Does it break if dropped? I say Yes.

=====
Mike Lorrey