[extropy-chat] signals or noise?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Feb 17 21:46:30 UTC 2005

At 09:15 PM 2/17/2005 +0100, Serafino wrote:
>From: "Dan Clemmensen"
>
> > If you are trying to maximize the
> > information rate of you signal
> > in the presence of noise for a particular
> > transmission power, your signal ends up
> > looking like noise.
>
>Good point. Optimal efficiency, for a
>trasmission of informations, via e.m.
>radiation, and with a reasonable and fixed amount
>of power, gives rise to a radiation with a
>spectrum like the 'blackbody' radiation
>spectrum.

This topic was discussed in detail and depth 9 years ago on this list, and
I mined that discussion in my book THE SPIKE (for newbies, `The Spike' is
my shorthand term for `Vingean technological singularity'). Here's an extract:

=============

Again and again, our faces are pushed into a kind of cosmic paradox,
mentioned earlier when we discussed Frank Tipler's vision of humanity's
role in the cosmos. It's been dubbed the Fermi Paradox: `Where are they?'
asked the great atomic physicist Enrico Fermi, looking at the silent skies.
Alien Spiked civilizations might be sensibly close-mouthed, fearful of
others of their kind from alien stock, or indeed from their stock mutated
by different histories.

All flesh is grass, saith the prophet, and all grass is food. If you don't
wish to be eaten by someone else's mouth, you're well advised to keep your
own buttoned tight. Which doesn't mean that absence of evidence is evidence
of absence. They might be there, everywhere. They might be here. We just
don't recognize aliens even when we breath them in and out, or let them
rush like a sigh through the atoms of which we are composed.

Perhaps the nearest to such a explicit perspective is the `dirt' theory
suggested ebulliently, perhaps tongue-in-cheek, by Stephen Witham. `Any
sufficiently advanced communication,' he proposes, with a nod to Arthur C.
Clarke, `is indistinguishable from noise.' If, to the naked eye and naive
ear, much of the cosmos seems like sheer random jitter and clang, that
might be no more than you'd expect of a high-grade encryption program.

Lately there's been a lot of fuss about ciphers and secrecy on the
Internet. Using a protocol dubbed PGP, or Pretty Good Privacy, you can run
your email or business documents or cash transaction through a preliminary
filter and turn it into a two-part jumble of letters and numerals that
can't be unscrambled without your private key. Others can, however, use
your publicly available PGP key to test whether a message purportedly from
you actually does have your seal of approval. The neatest form of such
encryption, much prized by extropians and other net libertarians (such as
the programmer and lingerie model Romana Machado, otherwise whimsically
known as Cypherella) is Steganography, which hides your message in the
background of picture files. The profile or spectrum of a well-encrypted
message, efficiently compressed, is perfectly `white', indistinguishable
from sheer hiss or a random scatter of pixels throughout the image you
transmit.

Witham had a nice idea. What if the universe we see is background-coded
with the Minds of our betters, entities that long ago Transcended or
Spiked? This would be a theory of Cryptocosmography, and its Monty
Pythonesque maxim might be: every grain of dirt is sacred... and perhaps
watching you. Witham put it this way:

"We don't know we're not looking at `alien' civilizations. We don't know
that the whole universe isn't colonized. Life evolves to become
efficiently-encoded information, which looks like sunlight and dirt. I
think these are the most natural developments to expect. The default
scenario. I would expect a colonized universe to look exactly like a barren
one. So what was the Fermi `paradox' again?"158

We should not expect to see a cosmos blazing with crude antimatter battles
between berserkers--dedicated life-killers whose five-billion year mission
roaming the void it to seek out strange civilizations and exterminate them.
No, Witham's fear is `interpenetrating infections, computer viruses in the
kernel level of physics,' a kind of `applied theology'. If that's feasible,
it might be that we already inhabit a universe entirely colonized at all
the interesting levels by post-Spike cultures. That would be the mother of
all dirty goo catastrophes. Except that it's not, strictly speaking, a
catastrophe. It's just how things are. `At most, our civilization, life as
we know it, is the faintest ripple, the merest wisp of a breeze, on what's
going on right in our laps. We are an insignificant perturbation not yet
worthy of scratching, information-theory-wise.'

As you might imagine, this rude suggestion elicited baffled or angry
There's no room in physics for hidden gods lurking in the dirt, or in the
atoms, or in the folded-up dimensions. Anyway, computer design is well
understood, and data routing and bit-exchanges don't look one whit like
noisy dirt. Get out of here!159

Others noted that, well, really we still only know a teeny part of
everything that's yet to be known. Besides, the point is not that
computations run to resemble noise are efficient, and therefore detectable,
but that this masquerade of noisiness might be the only way to stay free of
a bug-squasher able to stomp your star. (Not necessarily a big problem for
post-Spike technology, but this is a debate for advanced game-theorists.)
`I imagine aliens with billion-year patience would have extra slack here,'
Witham noted, probably with a grin. And if aliens can be expected to comply
with game theory to this counter-intuitive conclusion, maybe tomorrow's
post-Singularity Exes and their human pets will do the same. Our immediate
and recognizable merely human descendants, if there are any who elect to
refuse the uploading option, might end up living in a paradisal world
exactly like Pleistocene spring time, eating of all the trees in the garden
except the Tree of Knowledge...

Re-writing the cosmic laws

Polish polymath Stanislaw Lem once made a similar suggestion.160 Then why
don't we find all those archaic galactic civilizations?

"...because they are already everywhere... A billion-year-old civilization
employs [no instrumental technologies]. Its tools are what we call the Laws
of Nature. The present Universe no longer is the field of play of forces
chemical, pristine, blindly giving birth to and destroying suns and their
systems... In the Universe it is no longer possible to distinguish what is
`natural' (original) from what is `artificial' (transformed)."

The primordial cosmos might have possessed different laws in different
regions (a notion common to current claims by cosmologists Fred Hoyle and
Andrei Linde). If so, only in certain remote patches might life arise.
Attempting to stabilize its environment, each early Spiked culture would
jiggle the local laws of physics to its taste, until in their hungry
expansion for living space they begin to encroach upon each other's
territories.

Vast wars would follow: `The fronts of their clashes made gigantic
eruptions and fires, for prodigious amounts of energy were released by
annihilation and transformations of various kinds... collisions so powerful
that their echo reverberates to this day'--in the form of the 2.7 degree
Kelvin background radiation, mistakenly assumed to be a residue of the Big
Bang. It is a charming cosmogony--an explanation for the birth and shape of
the observed universe--and it fits all too neatly with the colossal
intergalactic filaments and voids first detected years after Lem published
his jape...

This universe of Lem's, torn asunder in conflict over its very architecture
by titanic Exes and Powers, is saved from utter ruin by the laws of
game-theory, which ensure that the former combatants must henceforth remain
in strict isolation from each other. The chosen laws of physics that
prevail, as a result, are just those restrictive rules we chafe under
today: a limited speed of light chosen to slow conflicts, an expanding
spacetime (good fences make good neighbors, don't you know). We live upon a
scratchy board abandoned by the Gamers. The Universe observed and theorized
by science is no more than `a field of multibillion-year labors, stratified
one on the other over the eons, tending to goals of which the closest and
most minute fragments are fragmentarily perceptible to us.'

This delicious logic was not a bid by the distinctly atheistic Stanislaw
Lem to reinstate a religious perspective in his then-communist
Poland--something that the triumphant revival of Catholicism has done in
the meantime, no doubt to Lem's chagrin. Nor am I seriously suggesting that
this is how our universe really began. But the scenario does sketch out
rather brilliantly just the kind of universe we might expect this one to
become, following the human Spike. If so, has it happened elsewhere already?

A perspective that professional cosmologists fail to acknowledge (I can see
their faces screwing up already) is that the observable universe, in whole
or part, might indeed be at least somewhat engineered, but not by any known
religion's deity. You can see why they'd have little sympathy for that
conjecture. The Copernican Principle, which has served science well for
centuries, tells us that the safest default assumption is ordinariness,
mediocrity. Things just are how they seem. There's no immense neon
advertisement in the heavens informing us of the presence (or departure) of
cosmic civilizations.

But hang on. Certainly, we now suspect, there's been plenty of time for
other life-bearing planets to form, hatch their brood, nurture
intelligence, seed it into the cosmos at nearly the speed of light (or much
slower, it makes little difference). That's a logical implication of the
same Copernican Principle. We humans will probably follow this course
sometime between the end of the 21st century and a million years hence. So
why should we be unique in this respect alone?

If that's correct, our own galaxy with its 400 billion suns and at least 10
billion year history has had many opportunities to bring forth Spikes
aplenty in the heavens. True, the earliest stars would have been deficient
in heavy elements, but there have been stars like the Sun for many hundreds
of millions if not billions of years longer than our own 5 billion year-old
star. What would galactic colonizers look like when they're at home? Let us
look carefully not for lurid displays (which are boastful, immature, tacky
and probably dangerous) but for clever husbanding of resources by one or
more sublimely competent technological cultures scattering their mind
children across the sky.

[go to the book for more]

8.58.  Posted to the extropian e-list 15 October 1996, and cited with Mr
Witham's permission.
9.59.  See, for example, Robin Hanson's reply on the extropian e-list, 15
October 1996.
0.60.   `The New Cosmogony', in his delightful collection of reviews of
non-existent books, A Perfect Vacuum, Mandarin, 1991 (originally in English
in 1979, sublimely translated by Michael Kandel), pp. 197-229.  I am
grateful to Mitch Porter and John Redford for reminding me of this
wonderful, funny piece.