[extropy-chat] Re: Where have you been?

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Fri Feb 18 02:54:22 UTC 2005

Ian Goddard wrote:

>"spike" <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Ian Goddard!  Man where have you been pal?  We missed
>>you several years ago, we were worried about
>>you.  {8-]  I used to read your blog, but lost track
>>of it somehow.  Welcome back, long time.  spike
>>

> Thanks for the kind greeting spike! Yeah, I've been off
>list for several years, apart from popping in once in '01 to
>post a link to my caloric-restriction report. The list can
>get so voluminous it's hard to handle. Last night it
>occurred to me to check it out and I saw the thread on SA
>and wanted to add a few comments. Despite their critical
>nature I'm drawn to the universe-as-computer-generated-
>program hypothesis for several reasons, but I'm kicking the
>tires and looking for a failure mode before I place a bet.
>
> A few years ago I went back to school and that's what I've
>been busy doing for the most part, studying philosophy
>(along with sundry periphery requirements). This semester I
>switched my major to computer science, which surprisingly I
>could still do at this point without setting myself back too
>much. I'd always get this uneasy unreal feeling about
>majoring in philosophy, especially at the beginning of a
>semester... yes, I love the topic, and yes, I want to learn
>more and more about it, but is it practical? Is anyone going
>to pay me to know these things? Maybe yes, maybe no... Maybe
>I need to find the path to channel what I like the most
>about phil into some area of applied science wherein I can
>learn tools to pursue my philosophical curiosities AND at
>the same time work toward a degree with more market value.

I think I just made a fool of myself.

Hi Ian! Glad to hear from you!

I just posted a response to your comment in which I included a lot
of philosophical claptrap, just as if I knew what I was talking about,
BEFORE reading your post quoted above.

Please feel free to make actual informed comments on my
I audited a course at the University of Tennessee in 1969.