[extropy-chat] Re: Analyzing the simulation argument

Ian Goddard igoddard at umd.edu
Sat Feb 19 04:14:31 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>On the contrary. If this universe were a simulation, then
>everything about it would be a product of the physical
>characteristics of the originating universe.

 But that's a *giant* IF. My point is that if we are in a
computer program -- our bodies, minds, and world entirely
computational fabrications -- then our knowledge is
restricted to the interior of said program and as such we
cannot identify any attribute of our reality as confirming
that our world is a computer program because we cannot
compare our phony universe to reality. To posit our universe
as a perfect simulation of a universe outside it is just
conjecture that carries no epistemic or scientific weight.

 The SA is a metaphysical argument. Our universe might be a
perfect or semi-perfect simulation, or an entirely unique
universe... a prize winning universe entered in a universe-
programming contest in some being-inhabited universe beyond
both our sight and comprehension. Who knows? Moreover, who
*can* know? I'd dare to propose that none of us can know.
All of our systems and parameters of knowledge are based
entirely on the (assumed for the sake of argument) computer
program we're in and any universe outside our program
universe *may* inexorably exceed our epistemic boundaries.

>Well, if our universe is a simulation, we should be able to
>communicate to its sysop/root, but not necessarily would we
>be able to hear anything back, even if the root wanted to.

 But could we prove that some powerful being purporting to
be "The Sysop" was in fact such a sysop? Suppose there are
advanced civilizations that share our (assumed to be) real
physical universe (or other dimensions embedded in a higher
dimensional universe of which our 3Ds of space are a part)
and they enjoy persuading less evolved computerized
civilizations like our own by various profound means of
conjuring that we are merely computer constructs and that
these jokers are the sysops. Arguments like the SA run into
problems of trying to define the ultimate nature of reality,
which *may* inexorably exceed the boundaries of science.

http://IanGoddard.net/journal.htm

David Hume on induction: "When we have lived any time, and
have been accustomed to the uniformity of nature, we acquire
a general habit, by which we always transfer the known to
the unknown, and conceive the latter to resemble the former."