[extropy-chat] cosmic silence

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 19 17:39:45 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:

> > To: Samantha Atkins; ExI chat list
> > Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] cosmic silence
> >
> > ... I think that our minds are the means
> > to overcome the bad parts of our programming. That is why we are
> > the only surviving member of the hominid family. H.
> > neanderthalensis may have been pretty smart, but they also may
> > have hunted themselves out of food, burned themselves out of land,
> > or taken on some other similar self-destructive behavior...
>
> There is a possibility of course that CroMagnon hunted
> Neanderthalensis to extinction intentionally.  That
> notion is reinforced by the National Geographic report
> that certain African tribes despise and fear the Orangutan.
> They seem to not fully grasp the notion that there is
> a great gap between human and orangutan.  (Perhaps they
> have a point there.)  Clearly the beast is a direct
> competitor for food, so those two species are natural
> enemies we might suppose.  They attempt to slay every
> orangutan possible, which is making it very difficult to
> save the species from extinction.

There does seem to be a record of hominid on hominid predation that is
shown with homo erectus predation on early homo sap and homo n.. Such
inter-hominid conflict may be a significant evolutionary contributor to
humans natural xenophobia (just as our fear of reptiles, spiders, etc
has a natural basis).

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)