[extropy-chat] Dark Matter Galaxy Discovered

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 23 22:48:00 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at gmail.com> wrote:

> Since dark matter has mass it isn't too surprising
> if a galaxy sized
> clump of it with little/no conventional  matter is
> somewhere out
> there.   I make no pretense of actually
> understanding dark matter
> however.

My understanding was that dark matter does not "clump"
because it cannot radiate away its potential/kinetic
energy. This is why it is thought to form a diffuse
"halo" around galaxies and cause the tips of the
spiral arms of a galaxy to spin faster than they
should. So based upon this condensed dark matter
galaxy, I would say *nobody* really understands dark
matter and for the time being it's all speculative
hand waving. I wonder what Amara thinks?

=====
The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson