[extropy-chat] simulation argument: introverted AI

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 25 22:19:54 UTC 2005

> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of ben
> Subject: [extropy-chat] simulation argument may be just a dream
>
> Something that Ian Goddard said triggered a thought related to the
> simulation argument...
> Maybe we are just some super-powerful mind's random dream, and will
> disappear without trace in the morning... ben

We tend to always think of an emergent AI as this software
super-being that springs forth somehow and uploads us
whether we like it or not, or if it isn't friendly
it goes forth doing evil, etc.

But let us consider all possible scenarios.  We
might somehow create an AI that is not so ambitious
as we are.  It might be very introverted.  Consider
a simulated being that simply goes to it's simulated
room and ponders ways to simulate a being like
itself on its simulated computer.  It might set
as a goal to create an AI that wishes to create
an AI that wishes to do likewise, and so on all
the way down.

If we could do that, then we might gain insight
into whether we are on top or somewhere down in
that stack of turtles.

spike

ps: Is there a term for this notion?  If not, I
name it the Introverted AI or IAI.  (Is that too
close to SIAI?  Is SIAI still around?)  The IAI
doesn't want  to break out and upload everything
in sight.  It wants to break in: its greatest
ambition is to find out if it is simulated or
real.  It is like me in that way.  s