[extropy-chat] pest-devouring automaton

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 15:35:51 UTC 2005

This is such a bioLudd argument, I'm baffled by its appearance.

Of course this technology can and hence may well be turned to some
nasty use by a sadistic killer. The very same argument applies to real
AI. Are you quite against the development of AI as well? After all, a
tweak here and there in a moral subroutine, and a real AI can kill
many more humans than a roving metal mountain lion.

Building a variety of digestive systems may give us insight into the
human digestive system, or insight into how to improve it and thereby
make ourselves better off. (BTW, does anyone know the relative
efficiency of methanol-burning as compared with biological digestion?)

But, aside from that knowledge-based reason to pursue more
biologically realistic robots, I quite agree with the examples
mentioned earlier by spike. Technological progress will and should
march on to better society, and ultimately make life safer and more
comfortable, carnivorous-robo-phobia and other little kid comic book
nightmares aside.