[extropy-chat] book: The End Of Faith

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 22:46:39 UTC 2005

>Sam Harris, in The End Of Faith

><http://www.samharris.org/>http://www.samharris.org/

Looks bloody good, from the excerpts and amazon interview. Sample:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/542154/104-1782834-9937530

< The kind of intolerance of faith that I am advocating in my book is not
the intolerance that gave us the gulag. It is conversational intolerance.
When people make outlandish claims, without evidence, we stop listening to
them--except on matters of faith. I am arguing that we can no longer afford
to give faith a pass in this way. Bad beliefs should be criticized wherever
they appear in our discourse--in physics, in medicine, and on matters of
ethics and spirituality as well. The President of the United States has
claimed, on more than one occasion, to be in dialogue with God. Now, if he
said that he was talking to God through his hairdryer, this would
precipitate a national emergency. I fail to see how the addition of a
hairdryer makes the claim more ludicrous or more offensive. >

Damien Broderick