[extropy-chat] (no subject)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Jan 5 18:19:03 UTC 2005

--- matus at matus1976.com wrote:
> I really have to wonder what the world would be like
> if the media covered the murderous tyrants of the
> world as it does to this tragedy. If we saw
> relentless video footage of the victims of Saddam
> Hussein or Kim Jong Il, if survivors were
> interviewed daily and newspapers ran front page
> photos every day of the tortured, beaten, starved or
> grieving victims of these horrific regimes.

Quite a few journalists have tried to give us that
coverage.  They tend to get arrested or shot by the
same dictators for their efforts.  Those in power in
those situations know that unfavorable media coverage
would be a quick way to bring the world's armies down
on them, and that the best way to stop it is to stop
the reporters.

Nature, fortunately, doesn't discriminate against
media coverage like that.