[extropy-chat] intimidation of oligarchy vs. outright violence of dictatorship

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 17:33:23 UTC 2005

One reason being an armed citizen is a good thing, and being
politically involved can be a boon. Having people owe you favors is
helpful.

I recently found out I was under investigation by the Lebanon City
Polict dept (which is rife w/ anti-gun democrats). Apparently,
allegedly, someone anonymously threatened someone at the Lebanon
District Court and the cops, of course, profiled every single white
male who had had a court case in the last year (or so they say). I
warned them against targeting leaders of minor political parties who
are investigating vote fraud in the last election, that letting
themselves become pawns in political tussles would be bad for their
careers. The investigation is over.

Was watching "Married with Children" this morning before going to work.
A Chicago politician responds to Peg Bundy's question with "Are you a
registered voter?"
"No" she replied.
"Then I wasn't talking to you."

Societies get the government they deserve.

--- Ned Late <nedlt at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, this is the problem. Even in America, citizens with little
> 'pull' are reluctant to excessively criticize the powerful for fear
> of retaliation. After all, one is free to publically criticise a
> criminal, but that criminal is free to ask an underling to pour sugar
> in one's gas tank. This is something few talk about, it is a peril of
> oligarchy, as opposed to the guaranteed violence of a dictatorship.
> Here is an historical example of someone who paid a dear price for an
> expose: in the 1950s Victor Riesel had acid thrown in his face,
> blinding him, after his radio show went too far in exposing crime.
>
> >Quite a few journalists have tried to give us that
> >coverage. They tend to get arrested or shot by the
> >same dictators for their efforts...

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)