[extropy-chat] weaponry

Ned Late nedlt at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 6 20:00:21 UTC 2005

An aware assailant has enough time to avoid gross errors in judgement and handling of his weapon, while the victim is often taken by surprise. Are you asking why I would carry a starter pistol? Because I would feel safer scaring a bad guy off with the noise of a starter pistol than carrying live ammo around. It's superstition. I'm not religious but avoid crossing the path of black cats and walking under ladders. Carrying a real gun w/ ammo makes me feel superstitious.
Every man to the devil his own way :-)

"J. Andrew Rogers" <andrew at ceruleansystems.com> wrote:

Why would you bother?

In any case, your question is based on a false premise. Modern firearms
are very safe and engineered specifically to make accidental discharge
impossible to the extent that it is mechanically possible. Obviously
they cannot protect against gross errors in judgement and handling by
the owner, which is the only way an "accidental discharge" will happen.
And rudimentary competence and discipline can eliminate that problem.

j. andrew rogers