[extropy-chat] what is truth?

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 7 04:59:27 UTC 2005

Samantha Atkins:

... I don't understand how you can manage to lie to
yourself that deeply...

Nah, I manage to tell myself the truth that deeply.  The
mainstream media manage to lie to me that deeply.

...If you are rational you had best be the
"enemy" of the state run by this administration... - samantha

Lets look at it.  This isn't about the recent elections,
for I had no strong preference for either of the front
runners, and I already knew my guy would lose.  What this
is about is the transformation of the mainstream media,
its slide into shameful irrelevance.

Dan Rather presented counterfeit documents in a transparent
attempt to sway a nation election.  Then after he was caught,
he came up with the bizarre stragegy of claiming that the
content of the phony documents is true, a claim which was
also shown to be false.  This act alone might well have swung the
election to the right, for it may have caused sympathy for
the victim of slander.  Samantha, the enemy of your enemy is
not necessarily your friend.

Then cBS announced an independent panel to investigate,
requesting a report in weeks, not months:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A39939-2004Sep21.html

CBS News President Andrew Heyward said Monday that he hopes the panel, which
he has not yet named, will report in "weeks, not months" and that he is
"open to any recommendations. . . "

Ok, weeks, not months.  That phrase was uttered on
20 September 2004, which is now two weeks shy of four
months, and no report.  The missing report has become
quite the scandal among mainstream media watchers.

Please before you reply, keep in mind this topic
is about the mainstream media, not the election.
That is bygones, this is now.