[extropy-chat] weaponry

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 7 15:04:43 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Some may call this paranoia. I don't. To me, that
> > line is crossed when fear
> > creates behavior that is inconvenient. Carrying a
> > gun is no more
> > inconvenient to me than carrying a wallet.
>
> That speaks a lot about the difference in perception.
> Some people live in circumstances where carrying a gun
> would very well be inconvenient.  I.e., people who fly
> a lot or otherwise have to pass through many metal
> detectors or pat-downs (not always of the type
> intended to be a security measure, but which would
> detect a gun where none is expected).

Flying with a gun is not inconvenient. Many people do it all the time.
It is only the public perception that it can't be done that creates a
perception of inconvenience. The public is an ass, as the public is
also convinced that machine guns are illegal.

Flying, with a gun, merely becomes one more piece of specially checked
luggage.

The fact that todays world tries so hard to make it inconvenient to
carry, with attempts at gun free zones everywhere, makes it clear that
the 2nd Amendment is being more than infringed (infringement is not
abrogating a right entirely, infringement is merely "infringing" on
boundary issues, i.e. the fringe)

> > Noone
> > calls me paranoid for being
> > afraid of being stuck somewhere with no ID or money.
>
> These days, there are locations where that worry would
> be viewed as paranoia, by the above definition -
> assuming a credit or ATM card doesn't count.  Only in
> certain regions, however.

Or circumstances, for instance, any expenses beyond your available
credit or the ATM limit (which can be as little as $300/day in most
locations). But facts are facts, and today, you wouldn't be paranoid to
worry about being somewhere without an ID, given recent court rulings
and the Patriot Act, being without an ID is considered a
arrestable/jailable offense.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)