[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment Citizen Award

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jan 7 18:06:12 UTC 2005

Moyers is cited as commenting:

>The journalist who truly deserves this award is my friend, Bill McKibben.
>He enjoys the most conspicuous place in my own pantheon of journalistic
>heroes for his pioneer work in writing about the environment.

McKibben's ENOUGH is an unpleasant piece of smarmy know-nothing
equivocation, as I argued on this list with multiple quotes some months
ago; I make the case against McKibben's disagreeable book once again in my
forthcoming FEROCIOUS MINDS.

Incredibly, Moyers goes on to denounce (very properly) the fact that:

<One of the biggest changes in politics in my lifetime is that the
delusional is no longer marginal. It has come in from the fringe, to sit in
the seat of power in the oval office and in Congress. For the first time in
our history, ideology and theology hold a monopoly of power in Washington. >

McKibben is exactly such a theological ideologue, although he masks it a
little more smoothly than some.

Damien Broderick