[extropy-chat] Re: Sorting out Africa, and dealing with climate change

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Fri Jan 7 19:11:42 UTC 2005

Terry W. Colvin wrote:

>>Just about every nation is Africa is a 'fake' - a few lines on a map
>>drawn by the former colonial powers. Trying to maintain those fictions
>>has a lot to do with what's happening and why Africa doesn't work.
>>
>>On top of that may be a cynical realisation that it's pointless to keep
>>feeding people who are breeding beyond the limits of their ability to
>>feed themselves.
>>
>>A case in point is the reaction to the tsunami in the Indian Ocean. I
>>suspect a great deal of the Western response is because we now see those
>>people as being 'us'. They are no longer seen as decrepit hopeless Third
>>Worlders looking for handouts, but hard working folks just like us who
>>have had a tough break. Brit dead are now expected to exceed 400. They
>>were there as tourists having a holiday, just like as if they'd gone to
>>Spain or Portugal.
>>

>Tony Blair
>
>A year of huge challenges
>
>Dec 29th 2004
>>From The Economist print edition
>

>Two particular tasks face the world's rich nations, argues Britain's prime
>minister in this article: sorting out Africa, and dealing with climate change

More of Blair's egomaniacal rant. If he can't make his mark on history
with a successful war he's now going to be Mother Theresa Mk2

I see no mention was made that one of the major things wrong with Africa
is the nation state. Africa worked fine for thousands of years until we
(the West primarily) imposed upon it a political model that just doesn't
work. It still doesn't work. Africa needs the maps scrapping for a
start. And second, we should stop giving aid to African govts - they are
corrupt, incompetent and just piss it away. The aid should be channeled
through NGOs such as Oxfam, Action Aid etc and delivered stright to the
people who need it.

Another things we should do is scrap all their debt and then stop
lending money to African nations.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-