[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment CitizenAward

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 8 05:11:54 UTC 2005

--- spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
> This oddball comment again.  I've heard it several
> times, and I have
> yet to understand why Moyers thinks the pentagon
> would give a damn
> if there is additional fresh water in the Atlantic.

The Pentagon's mission is to defend the US.  Granted,
it's usually supposed to focus on military threats,
but an environmental catastrophe big enough to disrupt
civilization is everybody's problem.  Can't fight a
war if the factories to make your bullets ain't
working no more.  Besides, these days, the environment
itself can be a military target, especially for the
enemies the Pentagon fancies seeing (terrorists who
somehow become as aware of and able to use science and
technology as we do - despite the fact that that seems
to be somewhat contrary to most actual terrorists'
natures).