[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - GlobalEnvironmentCitizenAward

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Sun Jan 9 16:39:54 UTC 2005

On Sat, 8 Jan 2005, Mike Lorrey wrote:

>> With no more warm water flowing into the north atlantic, winters in
>> NA and Western Europe will most likely become much colder.
>
>Which is a self contradicting statement. If the arctic ice cap is
>melting due to warming, then there isn't gonna be any cold to cool
>europe down. You can't chill your champagne without any ice, bub.

I wonder how you are always so sure of your statements, Mike. Climate is
so complex that any predictions made by people who spent their lives
studying it are at best an educated guess, instead you seem really sure of
what will happen 20+ years ahead.

And I don't see how having less ice will avoid cooling selected parts of
the world. There's no need to go under zero to call spring, summer and
fall "cold", except maybe for residents of Calgary and Fairbanks :-)

Alfio