[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment CitizenAward

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 10 19:21:15 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> It is NOT the same event. A convergent technological
> singularity is just
> what is expected to happen when specific
> technologies attain a certain
> degree of complexity, power and speed. `Rapture' is
> a mythical state of
> spiritual transcendence rising from a Christian
> belief system that includes
> a world 6000 years old, the physical return of Jesus
> to judge the just and
> the damnable, and other literalist fundamentalist
> foolishness. DON'T GET
> THESE MEMETIC WIRES CROSSED, OR YOU'LL SHORT-CIRCUIT
> THE UNIVERSE!!

It's not the universe I want to short-circuit.  It's
the anti-technology ideas.

Besides, who says that the two actually have to be the
same?  I'm just suggesting convincing some Christians
that they are the same, to get them on our side.  What
happens after that...well, once they are on our side,
they might be willing to interpret the Singularity (if
and when it happens) as Rapture even if they don't
actually have any evidence of the religious trappings
occurring, no?