[extropy-chat] education

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Mon Jan 10 19:49:15 UTC 2005

--- "Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc."
<megao at sasktel.net> wrote:
> How wiil educators handle smart-drug enabled kids
> who come to school to
> get the information
> acquisition done in say 6 years instead of the
> ordinary 12.

One doesn't even need to look to the future to see
that.  Look up "gifted children" today: kids who, for
whatever reason, really can absorb the information
years faster.  Much of the time, they are given the
info at the same rate, leading to extreme boredom and
resulting problems.  (Some are even misdiagnosed as
learning disabled or ADHD, because they don't pay
attention in class - because they don't see a reason
to pay attention when they can solve the problems so
easily, for example, but that often gets left out of
the diagnosis.)

Some such kids do get to skip grades, so they get out
in less than 12 years - but some of those children
have reported social-based unhappiness with this
solution, e.g. when one's grade-peers are eligible for
driver's licenses but oneself is not, or problems with
being at different stages of puberty.  (Disclaimer: I
myself skipped a grade, and I never ran into problems
like that.  Then again, I get the impression my social
life was not the norm - for instance, I was one of the
few at my school who ignored cliques and made friends
in all groups.)