[extropy-chat] Trees

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Tue Jan 11 14:12:33 UTC 2005

Eugen Leitl wrote:

>On Sun, Jan 09, 2005 at 09:27:25PM -0800, spike wrote:
>

>>Hemp?
>>

>Yes. The major source of plant fiber, before the wood cellulose industry (and
>fledgling plastics; DuPont) started it's "Reefer madness" defamation campaign
>(in early 1930s). You haven't heard?
>

>>Agro, were you just seeing if we were paying attention?
>>

>Hemp crop for fiber/seed/oil use has very low THC content. Very different
>animal from those high-maintenance crops (Alaskan Thunderfuck et al.).

The nature of cannabis phytochemistry makes it high on the list for
designer chemistry.
The same biochemistry that produces cannabinoids is a candidate for
synthesis of other valuable bioactives.
The waste biomass is fibre or fuel, the meal/oil is food, the
phytochemicals are the profit potential.

In the early days of america there were laws that families had to grow
hemp as a way to self sustain the household.

However, it will take a major change in mindset before the suburban
household starts growing and eating
marigolds, hawthorn tree parts,....... as these are usually expected as
pre-packaged finished products.

You are talking to someone who designs ways to modify ordinary foods
into being  bioactive delivery devices,
so I have a distinct bias based on my knowledge of the field.

Morris