[extropy-chat] change of topic

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Wed Jan 12 04:16:40 UTC 2005

IMHO having children is a full time job. For somebody. Dad or mom or a
combination of the two.

Yes, it is lovely that women have freedom to work now outside the
home, it is a fine and good thing.

It is an excellent thing that fathers can take time to be home with
children - that they do not have to work all the time.

However, this is a consumer society, Olga - you've complained about
it before, as have I. IMHO if one has a child one has taken on a
commitment that lasts for at least 18 years, and there may need to be
sacrifices made to honor that commitment. Financial sacrifices, even.

If one is not willing to make the sacrifices then perhaps one
shouldn't be having kids.

Single parents are in a particularly difficult place in this regard.
If I'd known then what I know now, I'd have made some different
choices. Children do benefit from two parents. Hell, *parents* benefit
from two parents. That's because parenting is a full time job. For
somebody.

Been there, done that.
Regards,
MB