[extropy-chat] Wait a minute. What's our contingency plan?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 12 06:09:17 UTC 2005

You make very good points and bring up excellent questions.

> *** What should we do to keep technological progress humming along
> should the world collapse into another dark age? ***

The short and of necessity first answer is that we can in no wise allow
the world to collapse into another dark age.  The question is how to
avoid it.

One of the best ways to avoid this but also quite dangerous is to
advance the technology so far and so rapidly that many more options
exist to guarantee its continuance and or the ability of the technology
possessing technophiles to fend off any/all attacks by others.    Of
course the technology this side of FAI does not care whether the users
of the technology are wise or suicidal.   The technology can and most
likely will be wielded  by the foes of human progress as well as by its
friends.

A better way is to persuade those with power of the necessity of
continuing technological progress AND to not use some of the technology
to oppress the population so deeply that progress and human happiness
is destroyed or too greatly curtailed.    Persuading masses of the
population of the wisdom of this course would be very good.  But I
don't have very small hope that this can be done quickly enough even in
the developed countries.   Doing it in the 2nd and 3rd world especially
in lands governed by religions that brook no moderation or questioning
of their tenets is beyond what I believe is possible in time.    Those
who believe just because they believe and are closed to reason are
great dangers as the technological acceleration puts more and more
power in fewer hands for less cost or allows masses of such to vote
policy to ambitions and foolhardy leaders.

I think that it is necessary if we are serious about a truly extropian
future that we create the space legally, psychologically, physically,
economically and ethically to proceed with the work of expanding
extropy regardless of whatever laws and restrictions the world may
throw up.    There can be no just law restricting this work.   I do not
believe it is extropic to simply give up if say the US goes effectively
theocratic or massively anti-technological progress in important areas
and persuades or bullies most of the rest of the world into going
along.   We need safe havens where the necessary work can go on.

Another level of prudent dedication to extropy is to find a way to
hibernate the technology and knowledge  for the day when it can
resurface.  If collapse is a possibility then we owe it to ourselves
and to those who come later to take this step. If we do get to the
place where such a collapse is actually in progress (it can happen very
quickly in some scenarios) and we have not prepared then it is likely
too late for all but very small amounts to be saved.  We lose.   So
before we get to such a place, besides doing everything we can to avoid
such a possibility, we must build contingencies to save all of the
knowledge and "seed technology" that we possibly can.   We must have a
way to set up some sort of guardians of the knowledge and information
who protect it, use it and re-introduce it as quickly as is possible.
Alternately we would need a way to set up a high technology enclave
that is self-sufficient and able to defend itself if need be against
anything the rest of the world can throw at it.   Off planet would be
nice but most likely not doable in the immediate future.    The most
likely minimalist scenario is a (hate this) sort of secret
society/priesthood guarding and maintaining the knowledge.

> Not the government, not some hypothetical investor, not "the public"
> suddenly getting a clue, but we, us. Not just technically feasible, but
> here and now, with the resources we have at our disposal. Please don't
> bring politics/ideology into this. They'll be cold comfort when you're
> dead. Let's be pragmatic.

Yes.

- samantha