[extropy-chat] change of topic

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 12 06:31:13 UTC 2005

Is that wholly the fault of the people?   Our civilization in general
has gone debt crazy as our economy seems to be set up to only continue
to operate if more and more is created and consumed at an ever
increasing rate.   Quite a system of pressures all push towards high
rates of consumption at the level of individuals and groups of all
sizes.

I would also point out that even if you live frugally and without a
second car (not a luxury if commuting by two to different locations
including one ferrying kids around and taking care of the home), big
screen TV etc, raising even a small family in many parts of the country
is barely possible if at all  for many single earner households in the
US.   The effective costs are quite high unless one does a lot off the
normal consumer grid.

- samantha