[extropy-chat] change of topic

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 23:17:53 UTC 2005

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:58:51 -0600, Damien Broderick wrote:
> It's much easier on extropy-chat now that any topic at all can be discussed
> under the subject line "change of topic". Here's a suggestion that will
> make it even easier from now on. Let's make all subject lines read simply:
> "topic". Or even easier, leave them blank. Or better still, those people
> who don't understand what subject lines are used for (to identify the topic
> under discussion) might stop posting altogether. So much neater that way.

Heh! :)  It does save space to have everything under one topic.  But
it makes filtering by subject header rather difficult.

>From the Extropy-chat List Guidelines:
"Since the topic of discussion on the list can change constantly
within a single thread, we ask that the subject lines change
accordingly. If you feel that a thread is going off the original
topic, that's perfectly fine, but please change the subject line to
let all list readers know what the topic has become."

-------------------------------

RFC 1855 (Netiquette Guidelines) is rather more stern:
<http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html>

"Mail should have a subject heading which reflects the content of the message.
Subject lines should follow the conventions of the group.

Messages and articles should be brief and to the point.  Don't wander
off-topic, don't ramble and don't send mail or post messages solely to
point out other people's errors in typing or spelling.  These, more
than any other behavior, mark you as an immature beginner.

If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.  This will make sure
readers understand when they start to read your response.
Giving context helps everyone.  But do not include the entire original!"

BillK

A : Top Posting
Q : What annoys you about Usenet?