[extropy-chat] weaponry

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed Jan 12 23:35:26 UTC 2005

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>--- Kevin Freels <cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>

>>I think that martial arts is a very good way to handle things if they
>>get close enough, but personally I prefer to keep my distance if at
>>all possible.
>>

>And a martial artist is still at a disadvantage when an attacker is armed.

Unless one is out looking for trouble, or deliberately putting oneself
in harms way, the attacker *always* has the initiative.
They pick the time, place, mode of attack, weapons, severity etc.
In most of the fights I've seen the defender would not have had time to
pull a gun, because the first blow was the one that felled them. The gun
would only get pulled afterwards, for revenge. And when people have
carried weapons eg a knife, again it's invariably the attacker who uses
it first (which is what one might expect).

The situation where a law abiding citizen is minding their own business
in the street and is attacked after a measure of warning (and cannot get
away)  is extremely unusual.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-