[extropy-chat] change of topic

Olga Bourlin fauxever at sprynet.com
Thu Jan 13 07:39:59 UTC 2005

From: "MB" <mbb386 at main.nc.us>

> Most full time jobs are not 24/7. IMHO if parenting does not come at
> or very near the top of the priority list, then the job will likely
> not be done well. One is "on call" always, 24/7, which can certainly
> call for sacrifce.

Well, now, and I've always thought of time away from work as "leisure time."

As for being "on call" 24/7 - surely you exaggerate.  A lot.  I mean, we are
always "on call" with everything in life (and with various sorts of
emergencies that could befall friends and family - not just children).
Except for some unfortunate or unlucky people, the numbers game pretty much
guarantees more "leisure time" than "emergency" time during one's life for
the rest of us.  Children or no children.

> Putting little ones to work with us ASAP is fine, however our friendly
> government is kinda frowning on that nowadays. It is, IMO, part of
> parenting, training the young to work, to be contributing parts of the
> family, to be personally responsible. Currently (at least in the USA)
> personal responsibility is greatly underrated!

I'm not sure to what you are referring.  I never imputed that I thought
children should work (the way some of them used to work before child labor
laws were instituted) - I said IMO it was good policy for *adult women* to
be self-supporting.

> Actually, I 'spect we agree more than our words show. :)

I 'spect so, too.

Somewhat related to the subject we've been discussing, what do you think of
this latest Maureen Dowd column?:

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/01/13/opinion/13dowd.html?oref=login&hp

Olga