[extropy-chat] TechnologyReview joins anti-transhumanists

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Thu Jan 13 18:35:41 UTC 2005

>title: Do You Want to Live Forever?
>source:
>http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/02/issue/feature_aging.asp?p=0
>author: Sherwin Nuland

This statement is typical yet strange:

<I should declare here that I have no desire to live beyond the life span
that nature has granted to our species. For reasons that are pragmatic,
scientific, demographic, economic, political, social, emotional, and
secularly spiritual, I am committed to the notion that both individual
fulfillment and the ecological balance of life on this planet are best
served by dying when our inherent biology decrees that we do. I am equally
committed to making that age as close to our biologically probable maximum
of approximately 120 years as modern biomedicine can achieve, and also to
efforts at decreasing and compressing the years of morbidity and
disabilities now attendant on extreme old age. But I cannot imagine that
the consequences of doing a single thing beyond these efforts will be
anything but baleful, not only for each of us as an individual, but for
every other living creature in our world. >

`When our inherent biology decrees'. But pragmatically `our inherent
biology' seemed perfectly content for almost every human in history and
prehistory to perish at about half that maximum, if not very much sooner. I
deplore this sad hankering after an essentialist `decree' that allows
doctors like Nuland to squeeze the last drop out of what is in nature
wildly`*un*natural' while clinging to some masked version of authoritative
or `sacred' prohibition.

Nuland's essay is notable as well for its whiny and reiterated complaints
about Aubrey's intelligence and energy. (What a nerve! Being smart! Being
confident! Being articulate!) I expect to see this sort of complaint in
Halfwits Review, not Technology Review.

Damien Broderick