[extropy-chat] Wait a minute. What's our contingency plan?

alexboko alexboko at umich.edu
Thu Jan 13 18:41:02 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

> Short answer: we don't.  If that happens, we've lost.

I'm a transhumanist. I don't accept defeat preemptively. For any problem
and level of information about that problem, there is at least one
solution with the greatest chance of a favorable outcome. I want us to
start looking for that solution, and when we find it, I want us to start
implementing it.

> Long answer: learn and practice the technologies
> yourself.  A new dark age can only arise if people
> stop using modern technology.

No, that's not the only way a new dark age can arise. Here are a few more:

       A. Climate change
       B. Depletion of feasibly extractable resources (including energy)
       C. War
       D. Tyranny
       E. Long-term economic depression
       F. Nuclear/biological/chemical attack
       G. Plague

It doesn't even have to be a full-on medieval time. Rolling back to the
1800's would be enough to guarantee permanent death for most or all of
those alive today plus those already in cryosuspension. There has to be
a failsafe.