[extropy-chat] Transhumanist Survivalism

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 13 21:37:16 UTC 2005

--- alexboko <alexboko at umich.edu> wrote:
> II. Possible causes of collapse.
> Remember, ideology has no place here. We are
> not interested either in alarmism or denial.
> What we are interested in figuring out what to
> expect from each scenario and its likelihood
> of happening.

Counterpoint: maybe the best way to survive is to
address each possible cause of collapse, and prevent
it from happening - or, at least, prevent it from
being able to collapse humanity?  For example, I
myself am working on a possible contributor to a
prevention of resource exhaustion, and (long term)
would like to work on development of a lunar colony
large enough to sustain technological progress even if
most of Earth descends into war.  (Granted, this
inherently requires tech that isn't yet mature - but
it looks like it will become mature before
civlization could totally collapse.  It's not like
society could realisitically collapse literally
tomorrow, emphasis on "realistically".)