[extropy-chat] Huygens: First visitor to Titan

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 15 18:48:07 UTC 2005

--- Hal Finney <hal at finney.org> wrote:

> The images this morning are even more spectacular, at
> http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/ and
> http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/Cassini-Huygens/SEMC8Q71Y3E_0.html .
> There's a panoramic view taken as the craft spun during descent,
> and the first color pictures from the surface.
>
> It looks to me like we landed in the so-called "ocean", the flat dark
> area, with the light colored "land" actually being rugged,
> mountainous terrain.  And even though they've labelled the "horizon"
> in that first landing picture, I don't think it's really the horizon,
> but rather the "coastline" with the mountain I observed being the
> higher ground which from above looks like land.

Yeah, this looks nothing like the snowcone with organic syrup scenario
that had been theorized previously. Maybe Huygens just lucked out and
landed in a bad location. So the bigger mystery now is how a moon with
such desert climate maintain such a dense atmosphere? Perhaps vulcanism?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)