[extropy-chat] Huygens amateur image mosaics and panoramas

Neil Halelamien neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 02:58:44 UTC 2005

The ESA has been a little slow with publicly releasing tons of images,
probably because they're busy processing the huge amounts of
scientific data from Huygens. Some folks over at the #space channel on
irc.freenode.net have filled the void by doing various sorts of
processing on the raw available descent images, producing a number of
fantastic panoramas, compositions, and animations.

Most of these are described on this page:
http://anthony.liekens.net/index.php/Main/Huygens

Some of the best composites are these, which show the landing position
on the Cassini orbital view, the far-away Huygens view, and the final
close-up view:
http://spacescience.ca/titan/Titan_huygens_landing_site_mosaic.jpg
http://spacescience.ca/titan/Titan_huygens_landing_site_mosaic_big.jpg

Also, here's a cool animation made from the images on the surface.
Unless I'm mistaken, it looks like there's some things (raindrops?)
zipping by the camera: http://www.mars.asu.edu/~gorelick/huygens1.gif

The raw images (367 total triple-views) are available here:
http://spacescience.ca/titan/raw/

I've taken the liberty of cropping out and separating the individual
camera views, which should make them more suitable for creating
composites and panoramas:
http://www.its.caltech.edu/~neilh/huygens/huygens_image_triplets_separated.zip

The following program may be useful for creating composite images:
http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

-- Neil Halelamien