[extropy-chat] FWD [forteana] Re: lunar elevator

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sun Jan 16 17:46:21 UTC 2005

On Sun, Jan 16, 2005 at 10:11:20AM -0700, Terry W. Colvin wrote:

> Terry may well be right in his impression that this wouldn't work, indeed *any*
> space elevator would be subject to a number of fundamental problems. None of the
> discussions I've read about space elevators addresses the problem of dealing
> with Coriolis forces. The further any part of the elevator system (cables,

He wasn't searching very hard, obviously.

http://www.isr.us/spaceelevatorconference/pdf/Gassend/SpaceElevatorDynamics.pdf

is the second hit on
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&c2coff=1&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=coriolis+space+elevator&btnG=Search

> orbiting anchors, etc.) get away from the geostationary altitude, the more force
> tangential to the orbital path is required to keep the system linear and stable.
> The orbital velocity has to be reduced approaching the planet//moon and
> increased in the opposite direction. You'd end up not with a perfectly straight
> cable, but a curved one, in the manner of the curving waterfalls in AC Clarke's
> Rendezvous with Rama.
>
> Perhaps somebody with more maths than I have could explain if I've got the wrong
> end of the stick (or lift cable), but space elevators do sound like a bit of a
> non-starter to me.

http://www.universetoday.com/am/publish/lunar_space_elevator.html
is far more interesting than any terrestrian elevator.