[extropy-chat] RE: Neuroeconomics: Biotech Meets Economics

mike99 mike99 at lascruces.com
Sun Jan 16 23:37:49 UTC 2005

The results of this research may indicate why so few people are rushing to
support transhumanism, with its promises of large future payoffs for
investing in present-day research and such endeavors as cryonics. The
emotional brain centers predispose people to favor immediate gratification.
Delayed gratification requires thought and self-discipline, neither of which
is over abundantly represented in observed human behavior.

Another human tendency revealed by this research is the disproportionate
fear of loss in situations where the probability of loss and gain are
actually equal. As the saying goes, people prefer "the devil they know" (the
current situation, even if it is not one of profit and abundance) over "the
devil they don't know" (a large potential payoff that entails some
substantial risk of loss). This human propensity is exploited by those who
overemphasize threats to the environment, or to the food supply from
genetically modified foods, or to everyone and everything from
nanotechnology. I do not claim that there are no dangers here. What I do
claim is that the dangers are often given too much weight when compared to
the very large potential benefits.

Feeling scared and scaring others is easy. Thinking through the situation
and planning a balanced approach to investment and development are hard.

Regards,

Michael LaTorra

mike99 at lascruces.com
mlatorra at nmsu.edu

"For any man to abdicate an interest in science is to walk with open eyes
towards slavery."
-- Jacob Bronowski

"Experiences only look special from the inside of the system."
-- Eugen Leitl

Member:
Board of Directors, World Transhumanist Association: www.transhumanism.org
Extropy Institute: www.extropy.org