[extropy-chat] Harvard president criticized over comments

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue Jan 18 18:02:54 UTC 2005

That's exactly what I noticed. And his report of what his own daughter
did was dismissed/derided. As it's only anecdotal it's surely not
scientific, but perhaps it is indicative? How can this Ms. Hopkins
justify taking such personal offense at a report of an actual event
that she'd walk out of a conference?

My own take on this male/female discrepancy is that frequently girls
*put down* other girls who are smart. It is very discouraging. There's
a point in schooling where some girls have only derision for any girl
who studies, does well, excells at math or science. It takes a pretty
tough little girl to simply ignore that as it's often the very
pretty/popular girls who are doing the putting-down.

... depressing examples from my daughter's experiences omitted ...
... maybe she should have been tutored or home schooled. :(

Regards,
MB