[extropy-chat] TechnologyReview joins anti-transhumanists

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Jan 18 13:40:08 UTC 2005

Aubrey de Grey wrote:

>That's nothing -- check out the accompanying commentaries:
>
>http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/02/issue/editor.asp
>
>http://www.technologyreview.com/articles/05/02/issue/readme_aging.asp

Sounds like Britain's view of hitech when I was at research labs in the
late 70s.
The 'suits' could never take seriously anything us 'geeks' were talking
about because we wore T shirts and didn't mix with the 'right people' at
the right clubs. I wrote a proposal in 1977 for an 'electronic book' for
the GEC Hirst Research Centre. Only found out years later that Alan Kay
beat me to it. Anyway, even then the place was called by New Scientist
'The graveyard of good ideas'. Pinned that cutout on the notice board,
but it disappeared sharpish. The rest is the hitech history of the UK.

30yrs on, it seems the US is following in our footsteps.
The place where things are going to happen is China.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org