[extropy-chat] Bill Moyers' Comments - Global Environment CitizenAward

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 18 21:00:46 UTC 2005

--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
> On Jan 12, 2005, at 11:01 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> > "Chemistry" != "alchemy", but "chemistry" =
> "modern
> > alchemy".  Note the "modern", which can be read as
> > "has origins in".
>
> Not with a lot of justification it can't.

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=modern

2. a) Of or relating to a recently developed or
advanced style, technique, or technology: modern art;
modern medicine.

> I am perfectly content with the original word.

It doesn't matter if you're happy with it.  You know
what you meant.  The point of communication - the
entire, sole point - is what other people think you
meant.  Create an incorrect impression, and you fail
to communicate what you seek to communicate.  It
doesn't matter if you believe it, or if you want it to
be true; it's like the laws of physics in that
respect.