[extropy-chat] TMS

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Tue Jan 18 22:48:16 UTC 2005

Adrian Tymes wrote:

>--- Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com> wrote:
>

>>On Jan 12, 2005, at 10:30 PM, Adrian Tymes wrote:
>>

>>>Puh-leeze!  Among the rather obvious issues:
>>>
>>>1. How to generate a worldwide electromagnetic
>>>

>>wave
>>

>>>of any reasonable coherence?
>>>

>>HAARP perhaps.   This area of inquiry has such a fun
>>mix of science,
>>paranoia and perhaps not being paranoid enough.  It
>>is difficult to
>>separate firm ground from swamp.
>>

>>From what I can tell, HAARP studies phenomena
>generated by nature, on a scale far larger than any
>organization capable of hiding its activity has nearly
>the resources to duplicate.  (Sorry, even trillions of
>dollars is not nearly enough to turn Jupiter into a
>second sun, or even to cover the entire Earth with a
>very good simulated night sky - as good as what has
>been observed - to conceal what's really going on up
>there.)  Plus, what's generated isn't very coherent.

The official line:
http://www.haarp.alaska.edu/haarp/tech.html
"During active ionospheric research, the signal generated by the
transmitter system is delivered to the antenna array, transmitted in an
upward direction, and is partially absorbed, at an altitude between 100
to 350 km (depending on operating frequency), in a small volume a few
hundred meters thick and a few tens of kilometers in diameter over the
site."

and the unofficial list of military interests
http://www.haarp.net/

The military says the *HAARP* system could:

    *
      Give the military a tool to replace the electromagnetic pulse
      effect of atmospheric thermonuclear devices (still considered a
      viable option by the military through at least 1986)

    *
      Replace the huge Extremely Low Frequency (ELF) submarine
      communication system operating in Michigan and Wisconsin with a
      new and more compact technology

    *
      Be used to replace the over-the-horizon radar system that was once
      planned for the current location of HAARP, with a more flexible
      and accurate system

    *
      Provide a way to wipe out communications over an extremely large
      area, while keeping the military's own communications systems working

    *
      Provide a wide area earth-penetrating tomography which, if
      combined with the computing abilities of EMASS and Cray computers,
      would make it possible to verify many parts of nuclear
      nonproliferation and peace agreements

    *
      Be a tool for geophysical probing to find oil, gas and mineral
      deposits over a large area

    *
      Be used to detect incoming low-level planes and cruise missiles,
      making other technologies obsolete

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-