[extropy-chat] A reflection on the simulation argument

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Wed Jan 19 08:42:53 UTC 2005

On Jan 18, 2005, at 5:48 AM, Dirk Bruere wrote:

> There is one very good reason to run sims.
> In a truly posthuman world there may well still be a requirement to
> bring new intelligences into the society. Since the bulk of the action
> in a posthuman soc is likely to be in simulation itself it makes sense
> to 'evolve' new citizens. And one of the best sims (IMO) would be one
> where normal sim Humans progress through the Singularity (as they did
> in the real history) to become those posthuman 'new citizens'. It
> allows those who run the sim to get a good look at their new citizens
> and weed out the undesirables. I rather doubt that Saddam would make
> the grade, for example.

I don't know about that.  I rather doubt that it would be useful toward
evolving fresh intelligences to have them live only one simulated
lifetime and that's it, win or lose.   Also I would bet that an
intelligence with some strength and determination, although certainly
screwed up in other ways, presents a bit more to work with than say a
total non-entity.  But, not being post-human myself, I plead ignorance
except to point out that it is extremely unlikely that our own
sensibilities and opinions would be even close to the criteria used.

- samantha