[extropy-chat] Harvard president criticized over comments

Patrick Wilken Patrick.Wilken at Nat.Uni-Magdeburg.DE
Wed Jan 19 16:03:33 UTC 2005

On 18 Jan 2005, at 21:06, Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> Last I heard, someone was claiming that the means were the same for
> the male and female distributions, but the male variance was higher.
> Which I suppose makes sense, viewed as a cost/payoff for an
> evolutionary gamble.

This is essentially correct according to SAT scores, although I think
the mean for males is very very slightly higher in math, and v. v.
slightly lower in verbal scores. Because top universities select from
the very extreme of the tail of the distribution it tends to favor
males candidates much more than females, but the *average* ability of
men and woman are not much different. In fact innate differences may be
vanishingly small when compared to other environmental factors.

Interestingly I remember being told that math departments at top
institutions also had a disproportionate number of left-handers. The
thought was that there was a connection between asymmetries in brain
development and mathematical ability. Male fetal development might
actually be more prone to stresses in the womb (on many measures we are
the weaker sex) and that's causing the greater variations in male math
ability.

best, patrick