[extropy-chat] Harvard president criticized over comments

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 19 17:14:27 UTC 2005

At 08:21 AM 1/19/2005 -0500, Keith wrote:

>For most purposes, the wider distribution doesn't have much effect.  But
>when you are looking at the population of those out more than 6 standards
>from the center (both directions) they are something like 80% plus male.

Suppose that at 6 sigmas--IQ circa 190 or 200--this is correct (assuming,
implausibly perhaps, that cultural interaction with genetic variation has
no bearing at all on the expression of those alleles). Here's how the NYT
summarizes the offending remarks:

<At Friday's conference, Mr. Summers discussed possible reasons so few
women were on the science and engineering faculties at research
universities, and he said he would be provocative.

Among his hypotheses were that faculty positions at elite universities
required more time and energy than married women with children were willing
to accept, that innate sex differences might leave women less capable of
succeeding at the most advanced mathematics and that discrimination may
also play a role, participants said.>

It does seem simply true that mothers in our culture are less likely than
father to be career monomaniacs. It seems very likely that
`discrimination', an unwieldy catch-all term, does play a role (otherwise
girls would not have caught up so easily with boys in school). The question
then is whether innate sex differences *at the 5 or 6 sigma level*--of
mental ability, concentration, creativity and motivation--could explain why
`so few women were on the science and engineering faculties'.

Obviously, if the test of becoming a professor were whether a candidate is
taller than 6 foor 5 inches, most profs would be men. But if the height
test were less extreme, the excess of males might be sharply reduced. In
the case of IQ and other salient abilities, even this analogy fails, since
women and men have the same means.

How smart and driven are most professors at such universities? Most of
those I've met have been quick and smart, but not spectacularly so. But
then my experience with Ivy League universities is sadly limited.

Damien Broderick