[extropy-chat] The Moon is a Harsh Movie

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jan 24 20:03:00 UTC 2005

Some fairly silly soundbites:

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue405/news.html

======
Minear's Moon Still Rises

Tim Minear, who is adapting Robert A. Heinlein's classic SF novel The Moon
Is a Harsh Mistress for the screen, told SCI FI Wire that he just completed
the latest draft of the screenplay. "I just actually turned in my next pass
at it this morning [Jan. 17] to [producers] David Heyman and Mike Medavoy,"
Minear said in an interview while promoting his new Fox series The Inside.
"The next step is they read it and maybe give me more notes or take it to a
director or whatever."
It's been a pet project for Minear to adapt Heinlein's difficult
Hugo-Award-winning 1966 book, about the rebellion of a former lunar penal
colony against the Lunar Authority that controls it from Earth. "[It's]
very difficult to adapt," Minear said. "It's interesting. I kept a lot more
from the book than people may have expected. The light {presumably a
transcription blooper for `line'} marriages are still there. The free trade
with Earth is still there. The catapult is still there. And, you know, it's
not a silly arm on a fulcrum or something. The idea is this sort of Ferris
wheel thing that takes it up over the gravity well and drops to Earth.
{Whaaa--? Oh my dog.} The thing that I changed from the book is that Mike,
the computer, manifests himself visually, so he's not just a voice. {He's
not just a voice in the book} But what I've done is I've given the citizens
of Luna ocular 'ident stamps,' which are the equivalent of prisoner
tattoos, and Mike finds a way into the personalized signature of people, so
he can show himself to you, but no one else can see him. So that's maybe
the thing I added."

=========

Damien Broderick