[extropy-chat] Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission

Technotranscendence neptune at superlink.net
Wed Jan 26 01:12:27 UTC 2005

I just posted this to
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/howtobuildaspacehabitat/ and thought some
of you might want to comment on it.

Dan

From: "Technotranscendence" neptune at superlink.net
To: howtobuildaspacehabitat at yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, January 25, 2005 8:05 PM
Subject: Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission/was Re: [How to build a Space
Habitat] Astronomers Shocked by White House Plan not t

On Tuesday, January 25, 2005 4:40 PM bestonnet_00 bestonnet_00 at yahoo.com
wrote:
>>> also don't know why I haven't heard talk of using a
>>> Soyuz if it must be a manned repair mission...)
>>
>> i think a soyuz would be something that NASA would
>> never  consider.  the Russians are already charging
>> them to get to the ISS, and this IS an american baby,
>> not Russian.  in terms of sheer "we need a manned
>> spacecraft that can do it", however, a soyuz fits the
>> bill.
>
> Another problem I see with using Soyuz for this is
> getting the payload up to the telescope.

True.  It depends on what the payload is, but the Soyuz can carry some
cargo, you can use more than one for the mission, and Progress cargo
ships could be used as well.  Imagine this kind of mission: one Soyuz
with a crew of three and a Progress with whatever's needed.  The
Progress might be sent up first so that they can be sure it gets there
before sending any people up.  The Soyuz can then meet it and one (or
two) people can work outside while two (or one) stay on board the Soyuz
for backup, rescue, and monitoring.  (Of course, they might work in
shifts, depending on the amount of work.)

A few problems with this mission profile:

1.  What kind of EVA suits can be used?  Will STS ones fit in the Soyuz?

2.  Can the Progress carry what's needed and can the crew in EVA suits
get at cargo in one?  (On the ISS, they transfer cargo in shirtsleeves.)

3.  Can the Progress be stored on orbit near the Hubble without any
problems, such as a collision or it drifting off before the Soyuz
arrives?

4.  What would the total cost of the mission be?  I guess with the Soyuz
at around $40 million, the Progress would be a little less, but what
about the costs of the other equipment, training, etc.?

Cheers!

Dan
    See "Ust Contra Tebye" at:
http://uweb1.superlink.net/~neptune/Tebye1.html