[extropy-chat] Support your local transhumanist artist I

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 26 03:55:11 UTC 2005

I shamelessly present the following `Small Press Roundup' review from
ASIMOV'S SF magazine, March 2005, just out.

Anyone who wishes to consider buying either a trade paperback or an
e-readable download of my novel (and Rory's) can find a link at

http://www.ereads.com/book.asp?bookid=642

The paper book is nice, with a cover by our >H pal Anders Sandberg.

Damien Broderick
=============

Paul Di Filippo's column `On Books':

In The Hunger of Time (E-Reads, trade paper, $17.95, 252 pages, ISBN
0-7592-5512-1) Damien Broderick and Rory Barnes have unleashed one of the
most satisfying cosmic romps in a long time. As if Rudy Rucker had
collaborated with Olaf Stapledon, or H. G. Wells with Neal Stephenson,
these authors have managed to combine vigorous and mind-croggling
cosmological speculations with entertainingly off-the-wall dialogue and
characterization. Stylistically slick, relentlessly zooming forward so fast
it catches up with its own tail, this book will leave you gob-smacked. Our
story opens in the near-future. A global plague is about to destroy
civilization. But luckily our protagonists--husband and wife Hugh and Grace
D'Anzso, their daughters Natalie and Suzanna, and the family dog,
Ferdy--have an escape hatch. Genius Hugh has perfected an interdimensional
vacuole which exists outside of time and space. Sequestered inside, the
family can leap forward in time--with one catch: every jump is
exponentially larger than the prior one. Luckily, the jumps start small.
The family ventures forward one year, then fourteen, then a few hundred,
seeking the perfect place to stop. Well, they don't quit travelling till
the years mount up into the trillions, and there's a hell of a lot of
weirdness to encounter along the way. Narrated by Natalie, this tale
possesses the pulp vigor of a 1930s Jack Williamson story with the
sophistication to be found in Broderick's non-fiction opus, The Spike
(2002). And in one of their cleverest nods to past SF, these authors have
rehabilitated one of Heinlein's most controversial novels, Farnham's
Freehold (1964), right down to the incestuous subtext. Do you recall Papa
Farnham's first name? Hubert, it was....