[extropy-chat] so is America fascist yet?

Jeff Medina analyticphilosophy at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 03:19:25 UTC 2005

For what it's worth (seeing as I'm not the original target of the query):

I do not find the fascist moniker much of an exaggeration (if at all),
am utterly disgusted by the administration, and have multiple friends
who voted for Bush in both elections. A number of whom have openly
stated they believe Bush is moving America towards Christian
theocracy, and that this is the Right Direction for both the country
and the world.

I'm curious - on what construal of "fascist" is the Bush
administration *not*? For all the scoffing at the term, I've yet to
come across a genuine explication of what fascism is alongside how
Bush isn't it. Certainly, I've seen plenty of rants about how Bush
clearly isn't murdering dissenting citizens the way some other fascist
systems have, but this is a distinction in degree, not type.

Cf. the sermon "Living under fascism" by a UU minister (not written by
Kos, just re-posted)
http://dailykos.com/story/2004/12/1/133310/217

See also
"God Is With Us": Hitler's Rhetoric and the Lure of "Moral Values"
http://www.buzzflash.com/farrell/04/12/far04041.html