[extropy-chat] Re: Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission--reply to a replyon another list

Dan neptune at superlink.net
Thu Jan 27 20:04:12 UTC 2005

On Thursday, January 27, 2005 12:39 PM Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
wrote:
Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Re: Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission--reply to a
replyon another list
>>> My recommendation is instead is for the
>>> USAF to orbit the Orbital Transfer Vehicle
>>> they developed several years ago at
>>> Phillips Lab and never launched, hook
>>> that up to Hubble, and use it to move
>>> Hubble to the ISS for servicing. It could
>>> then be used to put Hubble into a much
>>> higher orbit as well and enable it to
>>> return to ISS in the future for servicing,
>>> refuelling, etc.
>>
>> How much Delta v is it capable of?  It takes
>> a lot to change the plane of an orbit which is
>> what would be required to bring the Hubble
>> to ISS.
>
> The Phillips OTV's arcjet has enough power
> and fuel to be capable of SEVERAL trips back
> and forth to and from geosynchronous orbit with
> significant payloads.

Supposedly.  It's not actually flown to space.  And we'd have to do the
math to see if this actual made it capable of the necessary orbital
plane change.

Also, do you think it'd be ready for flight in three years or less?  My
Soyuz proposal has the benefit of using tried and tested technology for
the most part...

Cheers!

Dan
    See "Tackling Tebye Again!" at: