[extropy-chat] is eliezer here yet?

J. Andrew Rogers andrew at ceruleansystems.com
Fri Jan 28 20:01:32 UTC 2005

Eliezer wrote:
> Also, Spike, I hate to say this, but I've always avoided sushi, so far,
> because of concerns about raw fish.  Maybe I would eat irradiated sushi.

As another sushi-phile, I would say that the risks can be *greatly*
mitigated (well below background noise) by going to reputable sushi
joints that only serve sushi made from fresh, air-shipped fish.  At some
very high-end places, everything that can be live *is* live right up
until the point that you order it.  Frozen and/or unfresh sushi tastes
like crap anyway; I do not know how people can eat it.

There are certain metric fish that can tell you everything you need to
know about a sushi place.  The flavor and texture of some fish rapidly
degrades in a very linear and predictable way after it dies, such that
an experience Sushi Whore(tm) can determine approximately how old the
fish is that they are serving.  When I go to a new sushi place, I always
order a metric fish sashimi first.  The quality of that fish determines
whether or not I eat any other fish where the freshness is not so easy
to determine.

cheers,

j. andrew rogers