[extropy-chat] Globalization: A new Map with A Different Perspective

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Sat Jan 29 00:37:15 UTC 2005

I'm not usually one to discuss the military or war, and even 20th Century
politics, but this was interesting to me because it opened my eyes to how
the government strategies.  This article was in "Esquire" magazine March
03.  http://www.thomaspmbarnett.com/published/pentagonsnewmap.htm

Regardless of anyone's personal views about the war in Iraq, it is
important, I think, to understand how our military and government think.
The article explains the US military's strategy in regards to a new
security paradigm of disconnectedness as equal to danger.  It also uses
globalization as a new map which marks countries as "Core," the Gap" and
the "Seam."  These three areas refer to countries and their relationship to
connectedness or disconnectedness in the world game.

The piece also defends the US's involvement in Iraq or anywhere, for that
matter, within the "Gap" locations.  The point the author (Brett) is making
is that until the Gap regions are connected to the Core regions, they will
continue to be terroristic threats to the Core regions.  The Seam regions
are locations where the terrorists develop their bases and infiltrate the Core.

In order to increase the Core's immune system, the US needs to stay
connected, even with the Gap. (Thus oil.)

The piece also explains that "security" is the US's best export.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc
President, Extropy Institute http://www.extropy.org