[extropy-chat] 'History' and the fulcrum of 1945

Amara Graps Amara.Graps at ifsi.rm.cnr.it
Sat Jan 29 09:45:48 UTC 2005

A couple of years ago,  I read a brilliant book that successfully
conveyed what a complex arena is 'history'. The book _Walking
Since Daybreak_ by historian Modris Ekstein tells the story of
the Baltic countries before, during, and after World War II. He
chose Spring 1945 as the (obvious) climax of his story, and
through his book we jump in time, forward from the 1850s,
backward from the 1990s to reach that fulcrum of enormous
devastation and frenzy and the 'nothingness' of Spring 1945. He
used personal vignettes of his and other family's lives, to bring
our views to something we can understand, and he used particular
regions in the Baltics (and Germany) to pinpoint our
attention in physical space while the political landscape
constantly shifted with the major players in the second World
War.

When he presents his story, we see that the roles of victims and
perpetrators are not very clear at all, and representing
historical events, especially of the eye of the storm that was
1945, is ultimately impossible. He shows that to understand what
happened in Spring 1945, the story must be told from the
perspective of those who survived, resurrecting those who died,
so it is told 'from the borders' of a common home of humanity
today. The historical story(ies) then becomes an assemblage of
fragments, memory, reflection and narrative.

Of 'history', Ekstein says:

<begin quote>
We must accept a variety of histories, but we must also accept
variety within our history. It is not possible to write history
without preconception. It is possible, however, to write history
with layers of suggestion, so that history evokes, history
conjoins, it involves. History should provke, not dictate
meaning. It should be a vehicle rather than a terminus. Beware of
the terrible simplifiers.
<end quote>