[extropy-chat] Soyuz Hubble Repair Mission

Dan neptune at superlink.net
Sun Jan 30 14:50:55 UTC 2005

On Saturday, January 29, 2005 9:26 AM Bret Kulakovich
bret at bonfireproductions.com wrote:
>>> I don't mind the expense - we have a pile of
>>> instruments already built that would have been
>>> installed by now, that are just sitting Earthside.
>>
>> That's typical of many space enthusiasts: no
>> concern with costs.  I think such an attitude
>> partly causes so little to get done.
>
> Aha!  - but if this was a typical space enthusiast
> without concern for cost, I would rebuttle with
> the expense of various other programs that
> cost far more e.g. war, social security, etc. =)

Specious argument.  Just because waste exists elsewhere does not justify
waste here.  You're using an argument similar to, "Because my neighbors
beat their kids, I should be able to beat mine."

> I did not say I was not concerned - but that I
> didn't mind. Because the hardware upgrades
> that the taxpayers have already paid for are
> sitting around on the ground being expensive.
> It's not like we can take a Hubble component
> down to Chile and use it in the new telescopes
> there instead.

While it's true that it's unlikely a Hubble component is going to be
used for a telescope in Chile, this does not mean that it has no other
use -- for instance, it could be sold to SpaceDev to make a private
space telescope -- or that more money should be used on it.  You're
using the Vietnam argument here -- i.e., we've already wasted resources
R on project P, so wasting more than R on P is justified.  Actually,
sometimes it's better to fold than to keep putting money into the pot.
Also, being one of said taxpayers, I'd rather not have any more money
taken from me -- even if you want yours taken from you.:)

Cheers!

Dan
    See "Tackling Tebye Again!" at:
http://uweb1.superlink.net/~neptune/Tebye2.html